* 2kg pork butt (shoulder)
* 1 medium onion, julienned
* 3 tbsp kosher salt
* 2 tbsp ground cumin
* 1 tbsp paprika, *or smoked paprika*
* 2 tsp dry mustard
* 2 tsp garlic powder
* 2 tsp black pepper
* 2 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 600ml bottle root beer
* 1 bottle medium-dark beer
* 1 cup bbq sauce
* 1/2 cup Ketchup
* 1/2 cup grainy mustard
1. Cut away any particularly large layers of fat from the pork as desired — no need to get all of it.
1. Combine the spices and seasonings in a bowl.
1. Generously apply the dry rub to the outside of the pork shoulder, and in any other easy to reach surfaces.
1. Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
1. Place the pork on top of the onions.
1. Pour in the liquids around the pork — try not to wash off the dry rub.
1. Cook on high for 4 hours, then reduce to low for another 4 hours.
1. *If the liquids don’t cover the pork, you can flip the shoulder in the slow cooker halfway through*.
1. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred with forks.
1. Strain out any remaining solids from the cooking liquid and reduce by 2/3 to 3/4.
1. Add half of the reduced liquid back to the pork.
1. Add bbq sauce, ketchup and mustard to the remaining reduction and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
1. Serve sauce alongside the pork, or combine as desired.