The key to success is quite often getting started. The laws of conservation of energy apply to the macro scale of our lives as much as they do to the basic physical principles of the universe. A body at rest will remain at rest, while a body in motion will remain in motion.
For anyone who’s ever tried to “[get in shape][get-in-shape]” the starting of that routine is often done with sheer willpower. That’s hard enough at the best of times. Most of the times we don’t make that healthy choice easy because there are just to many little barriers in the way. These are barriers that tend to overcome our willpower when it’s time to do the healthy thing, but they’re generally not major obstacles. The key is to clear the barriers now so they’re not there to impede your ability to start later.
* Maybe you don’t know where your running shoes are… find them now.
* Maybe you don’t have suitable containers to pack a lunch for work… buy some now.
* Maybe you don’t know the hours for your local swimming pool… go find out now.
* Maybe you don’t have clothes to be active in the rain… go get some now.
* Maybe it takes too long to cut up veggies before work… go cut some now.
* Maybe your bike tires are flat and paying for air annoys you… go buy a bike pump.
There are undoubtedly countless other examples of mini barriers that get in the way of our best intentions, so stop reading this and go take down a barrier or two. It’s time for me to get back on my bike and ride home.